Sep 13, 2023
In this episode, Bryan sits down with experts Austin Hawthorne and Michael Kowal from Nile to unpack the intriguing topic of networking as a service. Dive into the discussions that span from defining the technology to its market implications and challenges.
- Introduction to Networking as a Service:
- Defined as tech always ready for business needs without complexities and costs.
- Other definitions including broadband, outsourcing IT, and managed services.
- Market Expectations:
- Influence of cloud adoption disrupting the market.
- Need for alignment of spend based on business performance.
- For incumbent vendors to adjust due to tech debt, customer, and market demands.
- Complexity of delivering network as-a-service compared to other as-a-service offerings.
- Speed Benefits:
- Frequent software upgrades, faster fixes, and reduced failure radius.
- Network Deployment:
- Standardizing approaches for predictive outcomes.
- Secure networking involving zero trust and RADIUS.
- Automation & Configuration:
- Addressing underlying complexities before introducing automation.
- Reducing bugs through streamlined testing and the concept of a digital twin.
- Vendor Challenges:
- Existing codebase sizes, feature support, and delay in fixes and new features.
- Documenting profiles for new QS features and identifying bug dependencies.
- Security Aspects:
- Approaches to network edge security.
- Challenges between security and network teams.
- The trade-off between risk, complexity, and cybersecurity insurance.
- Zero-Trust Principles:
- Challenges with implementing dynamic ACLs, roles, and more.
- Importance of encryption, authorization, and enforcement.
- Limitations of traditional networking setups using VLANs.
- Machine-to-machine traffic and security benefits.
- Local switching and RADIUS and DHCP server roles.
- Network Access Control (NAC):
- Definition and implementations.
- SSO as a form of NAC and Zero Trust constructs for the network layer.
- Nile Network:
- Payment models and Proof of Value (POV) offerings.
- Network Implementation & Automation:
- Benefits of automation over manual approaches.
- Introduction of soft bots and Nile service block.
- Closing Notes:
- Visit the show's website, rate, and review the episodes, and reach out with questions, comments, or suggestions.
- Nile Secure - www.nilesecure.com
- Join the Discord - discord.conft.show
- Driven - www.driven.tech
Thanks for tuning in to Conf T with your SE! If you found this episode informative and entertaining, please consider rating and reviewing our show on your favorite podcast platforms. Your support helps spread the word!